Monday, December 23, 2013

From the Dash-board

Today we brought Dash home.  Dash is the dog we adopted from our local Humane Society and I am in love.  I have been wanting a dog in my life for some time now but it has been serious lately.  I knew I wanted a shelter dog as opposed to getting a puppy for many reasons.  First of all I don't really want to go through the all the puppy stuff again and second there are so many dogs out there who deserve a second chance, a home to call their own with lots of love to give. 

Here is Dash's story; originally I was looking at a three year old beagle mix, we had decided he would be perfect for us in terms of size and I knew beagles were faithful, good family dogs.  We were just waiting for the cat test (I have a cat) and then he would be ours............disappointment as he did not 'pass'. Now they still would let me adopt him but I had to sign a waiver stating they did not recommend he go to a home with a cat.  I sat on the floor with him feeling horrible as he was not going to get his forever home like I promised.  The adoption worker then asked me to take a look at this sweet little guy they had, so I agreed thinking I would look again after Christmas.  In comes Dash (the name we gave him), a sweet little boxer mix with a severe underbite and very underweight.  He was a mess but something in him tugged at my heart, I knew that he would want to please and be a faithful companion.  Definitely a little guy that would be passed by in his cage without the benefit of getting to know him.  I came back the next day to visit with him, and after playing he would come lay down next to me and just let me pet him.  I was seriously getting drawn in all he had to do was pass the cat test (crossing fingers). 

I called to see how he did, preparing myself for bad news and deciding that my search would be off until after Christmas.  The behaviourist got on the phone and gave me the news that he did very well, wasn't even really interested in the cat and that he had a sweet disposition.  It was all set, I knew Dash had found his forever home.  When I went in to visit him Friday it was to let him know he would have a home for Christmas, my heart felt light and I was excited.

Fast forward to today.  Dash is home, with a pretty red collar, new toys and someone to love him.  I don't know if he understands what he has given me, think we need each other and we will make a good pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Have I Been?

 It's been a minute, or two or three. Life happens, things get in the way or you just lose interest.  July was hard. I lost my aunt to b...