Saturday, August 23, 2014

College Tour Day Trip

Yesterday the boy and I went on a day trip. . . . to visit a college :o  I can not believe that this time has come, seriously! It didn't seem that long ago we were making the initial visit to pre-school and there I was standing in the lobby of a college.

It was an early start to the day, out of the house by 6:30 am to make the 4 hour drive to Toronto.  We hit Timmy's to start off our day, me with coffee and the boy with his donuts as he sat in the car with one eye open, not quite ready to say anything other than grunt.  Once on the highway he slowly perked up, then we hit major fog about and hour into our trip.  It was dense and yucky, thankfully there wasn't much traffic yet.  Speaking of traffic, I was reminded of how well I do NOT deal with bumper to bumper, people cutting in and out, off ramps, merges and different exits as we got closer to our destination.  I was very grateful once we got off the highway.  Finding the college was pretty easy, thank you Garmin and the boy who programmes what I need into it and acts as co-pilot (seriously what would I do without that kid).

The tour went well with our guide a friendly and informative young lady who is a student at the school.  We were in a group where the other people were attending the school in the fall whereas we were just checking it out before the boy applies in the new year (OMG! College applications!). I was impressed with how modern the campus was and it is continuing to undergo renovations.  The student body appears to be active with some neat activities available such as day trips and they can get discounts to sports/theater tickets. After our tour on the campus ended we were able to head over to the residence and get a tour of that.  The young man who took us showed us what the rooms looked like and explained all about resident life.  We were impressed by the size of the room, you walk in to a little kitchenette with full size fridge, microwave and a dinette table, then off that is the bathroom and there are two separate bedrooms with a door on each.  The bedroom has a good size closet, L-shaped desk with TV, phone and a double bed.  I was impressed with the school and think it may be a serious contender for him.

Back in the car for the ride home and I couldn't wait to get past Waterloo where the traffic would thin out. . .We didn't talk much in the car as the boy likes to digest things, it takes a while for him to talk about something.  Later in the evening we talked and he said he liked it, the idea of smaller classes, being close to a big city and living in a residence.  Applying local is still in the cards but I think the idea of going away to school is appealing to him. 

Back to where did the time go?!  I am stunned that this is his last year of high school and last year of travel hockey.  Put the brakes on, stop time or at least slow it down I am not ready for this phase of his life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Have I Been?

 It's been a minute, or two or three. Life happens, things get in the way or you just lose interest.  July was hard. I lost my aunt to b...