Sunday, January 22, 2023

Self Care

 I posted yesterday about how down I was feeling and that I knew I needed to go get lost with my camera. I am pleased to say I did just that. Dressed in layers, put on my wellies, packed my camera, and off I went. It felt good to be out in the crisp air with no particular place to be and all I had was time. 

Deep breaths as I looked up in the trees and down at the ground to see what I might find. I watched geese land in the pond and a pair of swans glide effortlessly through the water as they found food. As I got nearer the lake the wind picked up and the air cooler, it invigorated me as I took it all in. A slow wander down the beach with some photos of the water crashing onto the rocks. I made my way back to the path and heard the twits of cardinals. I stopped to watch about 5 of them fly in and out of the bushes with brief stops on branches, the sound of a woodpecker in the distance. It seems whenever I need to see a cardinal they appear. 






Headed back toward the entrance and my car I heard a squawking sound and looked up in the trees. There was a dark shape and at first I thought maybe a hawk, as I raised my camera and zoomed in I was surprised to see a juvenile bald eagle. Looking farther up and out I saw an adult bald eagle. My excitement was huge, my first bald eagles! I just kept shooting hoping for one or two good shots as I played with settings and figuring out this lens. I went across the roadway to the marsh area to watch the geese when I heard quite the racket, I turned to see that there were now two adult eagles on the same perch. Back I go to try to get some good shots of these magestic birds. I just kept shooting, the sky was gloomy and dull but I was hoping for at least one decent photo of them. It was quite a moment and I look forward to more, I just have to keep looking up :)



I came home feeling energizing yet settled, it was what I needed. I need to listen to my body more and take off with my camera more often.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Have I Been?

 It's been a minute, or two or three. Life happens, things get in the way or you just lose interest.  July was hard. I lost my aunt to b...